Monday 4 June 2018

Eel & Bear, Hastings


 
OK, this isn't about real ale, sorry, but I recently visited the Eel & Bear, which opened a couple of weeks ago in Hastings at 28 Waldegrave Street TN34 1SJ  (01424 602055 - facebook), and a mighty fine find too, and very close by the town centre. Consequently I had to pop in and admire their many varied beers from local breweries (some I'd never heard of before) and many from further afield, and I've been back since too! Opens, for now, Tuesday-Friday 12-9pm; Saturday 12-10pm; Sunday 12-7pm.

So, what is this place? Well, they sell a decent old range of beers as 'off sales' here (bottles and cans, and they can provide the draught craft beers available in containers too), but it is also a bar, with 3 crafty kegs on draught, it is run by a friendly young couple who moved in very recently, and it is well worth the visit, unless you don't like craft beers, of course! It's quite small a small establishment, used to be a newsagents, a bit like a 'micropub' crossed with an off licence, and, well, I enjoyed myself...


I tried 2 of the draught crafty kegs, from Brighton, Cloak & Dagger (website) Komodo Bozo (4.2%), a fruity bitter beer, heavily hopped with Mosaic, very nice, and from Abyss Brewing of Lewes (twitter), a rather fuller and hazy beer, but similar in taste, their 6.2% Hank Marvin.

A convivial time was spent here. indeed, and an old friend, Larry, turned up whilst I was there the first time, cheers!








No comments:

Post a Comment