Saturday 29 February 2020

Philharmonic in Liverpool now Grade I Listed!


The Philharmonic Dining Rooms in Liverpool, 36 Hope Street L1 9BX (website), opposite Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, and built at the end of the 19th century (historically a Cains pub but now a Nicholson's pub), was upgraded to Grade I Listed earlier this month because of its "outstanding architectural quality and magnificent interior" (Historic England website). The Philharmonic was first designated Grade II Listed in 1966, and now this wonderful building has become the first pub built during the reign of Queen Victoria to be Grade I Listed!

 The Bar

I have visited The Philharmonic quite often, but not for a few years now, both before and after football matches in the Liverpool area, have met up with friends with no football involved, and have just visited when in Liverpool for the day alone, it's that good! I have even been contacted on the 'spur of the moment' by a friend asking for suggestions where she should drink whilst in Liverpool, and The Philharmonic was my suggestion, for which she thanked me whilst in the bar and sent photographs to me at the same time. Oh yes, and it sells decent ales and good food too.


The Philharmonic has an impressive interior, with stained glass windows, copper panels, wood paneling, stucco ceilings, and a mosaic bar counter. There are a few different seating areas and rooms, including a large room with comfortable sofas and chairs you could fall asleep in. It also has the original, and famous, gents marbled toilet that women are invited to visit (see photograph above), with the proviso they ask a member of staff first, of course.

The Gents

So, I add my congratulations to The Philharmonic Dining Rooms, and well deserved, which reminds me, I must be due a visit to Liverpool before too long, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment