Friday 27 May 2022

Belgian Bonus Ale!


As I suggested in my last blog there may be a bonus Belgian ale review coming, and here it is, another one from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat (website), their 9.5% Duvel Tripel Hop Citra Belgian IPA. Since 2007, the brewers at Duvel have been creating a unique Tripel Hop each Spring, with a different third hop added to the regular Saaz-Saaz and Styrian Golding hops, this time, you'll realise, one of my favourite hops from the Wakima Valley in the USA, that is Citra. In addition, the beer is dry-hopped, and this year, of course, with those magical Citra hops!

So, is it any good? Of course it is, indeed, it is quite a refreshing golden ale and, despite the strength, quite easy to drink too. There is a fruity aroma to invite you in, and, a hint of sweetness at first taste, but with much grapefruit, citrus and tropical tastes washing round your mouth, ending with a dry slightly bitter finish. I wrote "pretty good!" in my notes and gave this version of Duvel 8.5 out of 10 in my Belgian 'Festival' system of marking, yes, it is that good, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment