Friday 13 September 2024

September Whiskey of the Month!


I may just start this continuing as a regular monthly event, maybe until March anyway... So, a whiskey I've been wanting to try for years, and I finally got around to buying a bottle, Redbreast 12 (website), which I think is owned by Jameson now, but, what the heck! It is a 'pot whiskey' not a single malt, and I just discovered that means it is made from both malted and unmalted barley, which apparently saved on taxes in the past, those canny Irish! Like most Irish whiskeys it is triple distilled in copper pot stills. It is then matured for 12 years, first in American Bourbon seasoned oak barrels, then in Spanish Oloroso sherry seasoned oak barrels.

Redbreast 12 Year Old (I'm not loaded, so not the 15 year old!) is pretty decent indeed, my immediate notes were "warm and fruity" but there are subtle tastes and aromas of sherry, nuts, spices and caramel. Very smooth and very drinkable, I like it, cheers! 👍

No comments:

Post a Comment