Monday 13 August 2018

Now I've Tasted Britain's First Trappist Beer!


I've written about this new addition to the wealth of beers available in Britain very recently (labelled as an "English Trappist Ale" though I know of no other trappist beer brewed anywhere else in Britain - see blog), and now I've tasted it. As you can see from the photograph I poured out a bottle at home. Brewed by Cistercian monks at Mount Saint Bernard Abbey in Leicestershire (website), Tynt Meadow is a mighty 7.4% trappist ale...

A deep dark ruby red/mahogany colour and big gorgeous fruity aroma and flavour means that this isn't my typical tipple, but I swiftly went back to buy more, to 'lay down' and to share with friends, it's that good. Not the citrus fruits I normally enjoy, but rich darker fruits, with a touch of chocolate and malt in the taste, plenty of body and smooth to drink, though a wee bit sweet, my notes say "good stuff!" Interestingly, Tynt Meadow is bottled conditioned, consequently it has a long shelf life, so store in a cool place, drink quite chilled, and be careful when pouring the ale out, unless you enjoy the addition of yeast particles from the lees, cheers!

I'll have a few of those, many thanks!

Where did I purchase my Tynt Meadow? Luckily for me, just around the corner is the Eel & Bear, 28 Waldegrave Street, Hastings TN34 1SJ (facebook), who brought some in, but it's available online, if you lack a similar craft beer seller in your area; Google lists a few suppliers.

No comments:

Post a Comment