Friday 28 October 2022

'tis the Season for Green Hopped Ales!


If you aren't already aware, green hopped ales are brewed using fresh hops, ideally picked and added to the brew on the same day, and thus usually very seasonal, unless someone like the excellent Oakham Ales (website) pull off a masterful plan (blog)! But not this October, not for me anyway, however, I have had 3 green hopped ales so far, and all very good too...

I think Ilkley Brewery up in Yorkshire (website) narrowly was my favourite, but a miniscule difference between the 3 very good ales! This was their 4.3% Harley Quinn, with Harlequin hops added to the mash on the 23rd of September, the day after they were picked at Charles Faram of Malvern (website) who developed this hop, bred from Godiva hops, with the Charles Faram Hop Development Programme. They suggest peach, pineapple and passion fruit in the aroma and flavour, and I certainly noticed the peach and pineapple, my notes say "tropical fruit flavours" and a bit sweetish at first taste, but drying out with a nutty bitterness to finish. Oh yes, it is a pale ale, 'Green Hop Pale' noted on the pumpclip, and was very pleasant indeed!


I first became aware of green hopped ales because of the annual Kent Green Hop Beer Festival (website) that I keep promising myself I should attend! So why am I including a photograph, incidentally shared on the Angels & Demons facebook page, of a Hukins of Tenterden (website) hop field? Well, on that facebook page they state that they collected fresh Challenger hops on the 6th of September from Hukins to add to the brew mashed in that morning, so I'm guessing! To the ale... This was their 3.2%, so very much a session ale, Lillibet, and the photograph is of hop fields because I could find no photograph of a pumpclip anywhere! Lillibet is a dry pale golden ale with a hint of fruit to the taste, and I added a question mark in my notes as I couldn't state specifically the flavour, but with a particularly dry bitter finish, nice one!


The third green hopped ale was from the very local to me, Lakedown Brewing of Burwash in East Sussex (website), using freshly picked Bramling Cross hops from A Bushel of Hops (website), whose family have been growing hops 'for generations' in the High Weald of Sussex and Kent. Bramling Cross hops are described as possessing hints of lemon and a spicy blackcurrant main taste, and again I had trouble picking out the precise fruity aroma and taste; using freshly picked, not dried, hops provides a wholly different perspective! Kicking Donkey, a 4.8% 'Green Hop Pale' with hints of fruit and a dry bitter finish, was pretty good indeed, maybe this was my favourite of the three really? Shame I didn't try them all on the same day...

Oh well, research is a hard job, but someone has to do it, cheers! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment