Sunday 28 April 2024

Cider Week 2024 - Cider Session 1 in Rye


I've been looking forward to a few ciders for a change, and it being British Cider Week (blog), with the Rye Waterworks micropub (website) providing my first few ciders of the week. If you know nothing about the Rye Waterworks (above), and the building's 300 years history, please read this blog I wrote soon after the pub opened 6 years ago, oh yes, and the address is Tower Street (corner with Rope Walk), Rye, East Sussex TN31 7AT.


I started with the Biddenden (websiteBiddies Kentish Kiss (5.0%), a pale rose blush coloured cider, with a natural sparkle, that I had never had before. This is a medium cider, created from apples with a 'slight red blush' on the skin and 'rosy coloured flesh' with the apples pressed and fermented on site at Biddendens in Kent, and 'very easy to drink' I noted.


My second was the excellent cider portrayed in the photograph above, as you can see, pale and very clear, the 5.8% Earl's Reserve Still Cider, made from Russet apples grown on their own 100 acre farm in Matfield, near Tonbridge in Kent, where they've been growing apples since 1964, that is Charrington's (website). What can I say, crisp and refreshing, with a dry finish and so easy to drink, now this is what apple juice should taste like! 😉


I finished off with East Sussex Perryhill (website) 6.9% Double Vision Dry Cider, they sell 2 versions at the same strength, this one a "crisp dry" cider, and a Double Vision Medium Cider. Anyway, I have written about this before (blog) and it remains pale, complex, and dry, almost sour, like being back in Devon again at Ye Olde Cider Bar in Newton Abbot (blog)! 

More to come in my next blog, cheers! 🍻

No comments:

Post a Comment