Monday 2 April 2018

American Beers, I forgot to mention Lagunitas IPA!


Now this one I love, how could I forget to mention it in my previous blog?!? Lagunitas India Pale Ale (IPA), and I was reminded when I saw it on sale in Marks & Spencer for £2.00 a 355ml bottle, so I decided to buy a couple of bottles, just for research purposes of course, and I'm glad I did. Lagunitas (website) brew in Chicago, and in Petaluma in California, but, as I've actually been to Chicago, I am happy to announce that their Head Brewer (Brewster) there is Mary Bauer, who's love of ale and science is infectious, as you can see in this video!

Mary Bauer

But, to the IPA itself, which is a 6.2% 'hop monster' indeed, Lagunitas asserting that they use 43 different hop varieties in it, imagine the complexity of how they first came up with such a recipe! You can catch caramel from the malt in the aroma, with a hint of citrus too, but the malt in the flavour is very subtle, probably hammered by the bitterness produced from the copious amount of hops included, yes it is dominated by a citrus taste with a lovely dry bitter finish, excellent! 

No comments:

Post a Comment