Sunday 10 March 2024

The Eight Bells & Sambrook's Black Forest


On my way to London yesterday I noticed on their Facebook page that The Eight Bells, 89 Fulham High Street SW6 3JS, had put on a very interesting ale, so we visited for a couple of pints. The 18th century building became The Eight Bells about 1754, although a pub had been on the site as far back as 1629, when originally licenced as the Blue Anchor. The pub is situated just north of Putney Bridge in Fulham High Street, which used to run down to the older wooden bridge, originally Fulham Bridge, that was built in 1727-29; the present Putney Bridge (opened in 1886) is a hundred yards or so to the west of where the older Fulham Bridge's north end was.


The ale that had interested me is brewed by Sambrook's Brewery (website), which is now situated in the old Young's Brewery site in Wandsworth, London SW18 1UR, and was their 4.5% Black Forest. Imagine my surprise when I discovered it wasn't the stout or porter I was expecting, but a cherry flavoured bitter! OK, I wrote "I get the cherry, but quite subtle with dry bitter finish." Much easier to drink than I thought it would be, and not bad! 

My brother drank Fuller's London Pride, which he assured me was one of the best pints of Pride he's drunk for a while, and the 2 pints together came to £9.80, which is pretty good for the Fulham/Putney area. Overall, a very nice pub, pleasant service, happy bunnies, cheers! 👍


No comments:

Post a Comment