Sunday 10 November 2019

Stout in Rye, and more


I have visited The Rye Waterworks micropub quite often since my first visit soon after they opened last year (blog), and felt that, as they regularly have darker ales and as International Stout Day was just the other day (blog), another visit was in order, of course! No Eddie this day, though David and Ulla were present, as well as a barman I didn't quite catch his name (Paul?), and David was in fine form again, cramming people in where it didn't seem possible sometimes with an astute use of seating and tables, getting people to chat with each other, and even running impromptu quizzes, whilst Ulla ensured my glass was full, many thanks!


There were 8 real ales served straight from the cask, as usual, plus numerous ciders, and much more (gins and wine plus plus), and, oh look, a stout from local brewer, of course, Hopfuzz Brewery (website) Blacksmith, a 4.2% stout, very dark and smooth, with chocolate in the aroma and taste, quite subtle, and very drinkable too.

You will realise by now that I do love pale hoppy ales in particular, so I also drank a few pints of ale from another Kent brewer, Old Dairy (website) Uber Brew (3.8%), as I usually do when in a pub selling this fine ale. Pale and hoppy, using Citra, Chinook and Equinox hops, and plenty of them too, refreshing and bitter with a lovely dry finish, I love it!


As I've said before, the furniture and everything not fixed down is for sale, so it looks a wee bit different every time you walk into the bar, this is how it looked when I entered on Saturday (above). Oh yes, they also sell quality bar snacks, I had a lovely large scotch egg made very locally with free range eggs served with locally produced homemade spicy chutney, gorgeous.

If you haven't been before, it is well worth the visit, friendly, chatty, characters, and at the corner of Tower Street and Rope Walk in Rye TN31 7AT, fewer than 5 minutes walk from the railway station; see older blog for more information about the pub and its history, and enjoy, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment